- Confidential Oil & Gas Co.
- Image Classification
- Creating spatial signatures
- Spatial analysis
Client wanted to conduct a research study for assessing habitat sensitivity of land and water environment. The four band, high spatial resolution SPOT satellite imagery was used for this study. Estimations of relationships between spectral values from remote sensing image and species distributions were utilized for indicating areas with higher levels of species diversity. This technique was applied over large spatial extents covering both terrestrial and marine habitats. Tessellations worked with the local marine biologists to help define the classes into land and marine categories. Habitat sensitivity maps were created for providing information on the distributions of large numbers of species in a wider variety of habitat types.
Scope of Services
- Working with the local marine biologists to classify land and marine habitats
- Unsupervised image classification technique was performed for classifying habitats
- Collecting ground truth information through field observation
- Creating spectral signatures for areas of interest
- Utilizing the spectral signatures for performing supervised classification and to help identify the sensitive habitats
- The output of this study was used for decision making process
- Output was used for the Environment Impact Assessment to obtain environment permits